8 February 1919 We Lost 257
Today’s losses include:
- A man in the first group of 99 to be awarded the MC
- A man killed in Murmansk, Russia
- A man whose brother died on service in January 1916
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Gerald Orly Sloper (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed in Murmansk at age 33. He was among the first 99 to be awarded the Military Cross.
- Captain Alexander Lockhart Ogston (Royal Marines) dies on service at age 31. He is the son of Professor ‘Sir’ Alexander Ogston KCVO DL.
- Rifleman Louis Joseph Weld-Blundell (London Regiment) dies at age 29 while serving in France. His brother died in January 1916 while serving in the Liverpool Regiment.