19 February 1919 We Lost 351
Today’s losses include:
- A Brigadier General and brother of ‘Sir” Arthur Conan Doyle
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The brother of historian and writer Andrew Lang
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General John Francis Innes Hay Doyle (Royal Field Artillery) dies of pneumonia while on service in Flanders at age 45. He is the brother of ‘Sir’ Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Major Constantine James Phipps DSO MC (Royal Engineers) dies on service at age 26. His brother was killed in July 1916 and they are sons of Canon Constantine Osborne Phipps Vicar of Lee Great Missenden.
- Lieutenant Gerald Vivian Oldrey (Nottinghamshire Yeomanry) dies on active service in Egypt. His brother was killed in October 1914.
- Second Lieutenant James Gibson Grant (King’s Liverpool Regiment) dies of illness caused by hardship and exposure while on service. He was the brother of Andrew Lang, the historian and writer.
- Sapper Henry Errington Kirby Byard (Royal Engineers) dies in France at age 27. He is the son of the Reverend H Kirby Byard.
- Air Mechanic 2nd Class John Henry Toole (Australian Flying Corps) dies on service at age 29. His brother was killed last August.